Friday, October 11, 2013

Sketch Installation - DIY/Scavenged Material

Concept
I am wanting to create an altar out of trash. I want to continue to comment on Alien intervention and I am planning on using visual poetry that I am creating in my Experimental Production course. The centerpiece of my work is a DLP Tv that I found in the alley. This was serendipitous because It serves as a perfect subject for my altar. We as a society spend more and more time in front of this box and it has become a source of Knowledge for some but for most others it is a numbing agent pulling the younger generations further and further from their own imaginations and beliefs. I am still working with evolving the plane in which the projected image resides and I want to create a sense of mystery in how this device will work.


Space
I wanted to use a space that had a feature wall behind it. I liked the 207 lab room because is had that beautiful brick wall that I would be able to have as my backdrop. The brick symbolized the strength behind my point of view and served as a buttress to my research on this topic. I wanted to be able to have my audience come in and see the layers of this installation. The deconstructed TV/Altar should be first and as they view it in the round, they can see me, how I am connected to it and the impenetrable wall behind me.


Construction and Installation

Once the TV was stripped down, I found imagery that depicted Prophets with the glowing aura along with symbolism of all religions. I chose to use the imagery of the glowing prophets because this is a theme that ties across all religions and I am focused on unifying these religions through Alien intervention. I glued these images to the facade and the housing of the TV. I did this to emulate a shrine and solidify my message. In the display area of the enclosure is where I wanted to display my video. I left the TV's mirror in place so you can stand in front of it and view the horizontally projected image. I used a Pico projector and a mirror project upward and then used a found lamp shade to catch the light of the projected image. I also found to wall paper in the back of Blick that was bright white and brought a clean religious feeling to the compiled garbage. The video that I used was 6 minute Visual Poetry piece that I created in using found footage. The abstract used to create the video was on the topic of human creation by the hands of the alien race.  Having it projected onto the lamp shade gave it a feeling of an aura pulsating within this altar and the imagery that you were seeing was being filtered into the altar via Audio, Video and ethernet cables that I had attached to my head.





No comments:

Post a Comment