Saturday, November 30, 2013

Sketch Installation - Time

Concept
I wanted to take the opportunity to address a time based work in a public space. To make this piece approachable to the public, I want to make a sort of photo booth that can be used to grab stills at will. The way that I plan to incorporate time into the piece is to have the image degrade over time. I would like o have the presence of the viewer start a timer that will degrade the picture a bit more every second. The viewer will be able to take a snapshot at any time and print them Photo Booth style (3 - 5 images, 6x2 strips). There will be a counter superimposed on the screen so that the viewer correlates their time in the space with the degradation of the image. In further explorations of this, I would like to work new triggers and filters for multiple bodies detected in the space.

Space
I have decided to install my piece in the main lobby of the Conway center. This works great because most of the people loitering in this space are working on homework or studying and are often looking for a quick escape. Since I can not mount or hang this installation, I will have to create a stand that can support a TV and have chosen to create it based off of the the dimensions of the semi circular desktop in the lobby area.

Installation
After measuring the desk height, depth and rise of the "backsplash" lip and its depth. I then used the measurements to attach the mount to my stand that I constructed at home and ensured the TV and met the opposite end of the structure. I used a color CCTV camera and a GorrilaPod to mount on top of the extended TV and the feed was imported into Isadora. The visuals created by the patch were then output via VGA. In order to increase the fidelity of the Blob detection, I had to create a dark black backdrop and increased the threshold of that image in the patch.







No comments:

Post a Comment